Women Empowerment runs warm in her veins! Jessica Lee Ann is an author with a message behind every book she has written. That message is to “To inspire young teen girls to embrace their uniqueness and to dream BIG!” In her newest release, “Melanie the Melanin Queen” which was released July 27th encourages black teen girls to embrace how they look.
Congratulations on your newest book, “Melanie the Melanin Queen” What motivated/inspired you to write the book?
Thank you! I was inspired to write this book because I’m tired of seeing negative images and content about black women, so I wanted to write something to empower young black girls to embrace their unique identity.
- What is the theme of it?
The theme of the book is to encourage black girls to understand why we’re different shades of brown; to not be ashamed if your shade is darker than others, but rather to embrace it.
- Are there any book events lined up in the near future?
Yes! I’ll be hosting teen empowerment summits called You Are Royalty in the Dallas area this fall. Super excited about that!
- What genre do your books cater to?
This book is for girls ages 12-17; but I encourage all black girls, teens, and young women to check it out.
- I see that you are all about writing books to empower teen black girls and I think that is such a great thing you are doing. Are there any speaking engagements you do to talk about your books?
Yes, I love it! I love our baby girls. And yes, I have done a few in the past. I will be focusing on doing more in the future for sure.
- How did you come up with the title for the book?
Honestly God just dropped it in my spirit! I was scrolling on Instagram and seeing the hashtag melanin and I thought, “it would be cute to write about a young lady who embraces being a melanin queen” and next thing I know I was writing a synopsis.
- Let’s talk about your self-publishing company Chocolate Readings. How long have you had this company?
Yes, I started it back in 2017 and did a re-launch in April of 2018.
- What services does it provide?
We offer editing, publishing, branding, and marketing services for authors, bloggers, and service-based professionals.
- How did you come up with the name?
I used to create greeting cards about ten years ago and that was the name of the company.
- Besides writing books, what other projects are you working on?
I’m creating a digital course to go along with the Melanie the Melanin Queen book as well as the empowerment summit. I also coach other authors, so that’s what I’m focused on these days.
- Are you planning on writing another teen book this year or will you start in the near future?
- Absolutely! I created a fictious high school and all of the books will include it. The next book I’m writing will focus on teen girls dealing with being extra curvy at such a young age. I plan to release it next spring.
- What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
I would day create a writing outline, a daily word count, set a tentative release day and stick to it. Also, don’t be afraid to get a coach or mentor if you need some accountability.
- How can readers connect with you and learn more about your books and services?